Toasted Coconut Butter in a Ninja!!
I admit it, I've been a sugar addict in the past. When my first child was very young, I worked in our coffeeshop and made the pastries - scones, cookies, espresso brownies, etc. I loved creating new recipes and sampling. A lot. I found out my body didn't want gluten or sugar and after a few years and numerous variations on a theme of lifestyle changes, I quit sugar. Not for good, but I now only eat it every once in a while. Do I get sugar cravings still? If I have too much, too often. And too much is a paleo cookie or two. And too many days in a row. So, I like to have a not too sweet something on hand to help with that feeling, that has good fats to satiate that want for sugar and satisfies the palette. I've had coconut butter and it's great, but toasting the coconut kicks it up a notch. Add the cinnamon if you want. I know I liked that little hint in mine.
And it's so inexpensive to make it this way! I probably spent $1.50 on 2 cups of Organic (yes, organic) Shredded Coconut. So with other ingredients, it probably cost me $1.58. Ha!
I started making it in my Blendtec but only had my WildSide jar available (I blew up the regular jar - oops) and it was apparent quickly that the volume of coconut wouldn't work in the bigger jar, so I switched to the Ninja and it worked great! Try this out in your blender, but be mindful - it can heat up as it turns to coconut butter.
Try this on apples or paleo pancakes with some berries instead of syrup - this is Restart approved. Enjoy!
HOW IT LOOKS WHEN SMOOTH AND CREAMY. YUM.
Toasted Coconut Butter
Yields 1/2 cup (double if you want more)
2 c. organic shredded coconut (can use coconut flakes)
1/2 t. cinnamon (optional)
1/4 t. himalayan or real salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Toss coconut in cinnamon and salt.
3. Place on sheet pan and toast in oven for 2-5 minutes, depending on if you used flakes or shredded. Stir every minute or two until lightly golden brown.
4. Remove from oven and let cool (I usually take it off the pan so it doesn't cook more).
5. When cooled, place in blender and mix for 30 seconds at a time. Clean sides and push down with spatula. It took about 6 rounds until it started to release the oil and smooth out.
6. Test for consistency and enjoy!