Tasty Holiday Dinner Side Dishes
I occasionally will test out new recipes on my family, especially for the holidays. And this year was no exception. We needed an excuse and I was making my dad his yearly birthday pecan pie (that recipe for another blog). My girls also wanted to make a gluten free apple pie with a decorative crust, so a celebration ensued! We named it Chickensgiving as there weren't any turkeys to be found. ;)
I roasted a chicken and made the regular sides my kids love - roasted Yukon gold potatoes and broccoli, but I also wanted to make sides that my clients might enjoy during the holidays or really anytime of the year. So I chose to make a roasted parsnip and cauliflower mash, Fennel and Beet Salad with Green Apple and Mustard Vinaigrette and Green Beans with Bacon and Shallots. Enjoy!
All recipes from the kitchen of Heather Page, Healthy Decadence.
Roasted Parsnip and Cauliflower Mash
3 parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1/4” coins
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2-3/4 cup hemp milk (or any unsweetened nut milk)
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1/2 Tbsp fresh marjoram
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Toss parsnips and cauliflower in olive oil and sprinkle with mineral salt. Pour onto parchment lined sheet pan.
3. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until soft.
4. Remove from oven and place in medium bowl with herbs, butter and milk of choice. Mash with potato masher or mixer. Add more milk for desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
Roasted Fennel and Beet Salad with Green Apple and Mustard Vinaigrette
3 beets, peeled and but into 1/4” cubes
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced thinly
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 green apple, thinly sliced
1/2 cup pecan halves or pieces
6 cups arugula and spring greens, mixed
1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
Pinch mineral salt
1. Lightly roast pecans at 325 degrees for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Then preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Toss fennel, then beets in melted coconut oil. Pour onto parchment lined sheet pan and lightly salt with mineral salt.
4. Roast for 20 minutes until firm but tender. Let cool a few minutes.
5. Prepare Mustard Vinaigrette.
6. Arrange a bed of greens on a serving platter and layer roasted fennel, beets, freshly sliced apple and pecans. Serve with vinaigrette.
Sautéed Green Beans with Bacon and Crispy Shallots
4 pieces bacon, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
4 shallots sliced into 1/8” slices
himalayan or real salt
Cook bacon on medium and when finished, strain bacon and set aside.
Add shallots and sauté until golden brown. Transfer shallots to paper towel and set aside.
Add green beans to remaining bacon fat and sauté until tender crisp, stirring often.
Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with shallots and bacon.